Selling a home is exciting, scary, and emotional. However you feel about it, one is for sure – you want to get the best possible deal for it. Often, homeowners fail to recognize areas for improvement that will help them increase the value of their homes. That’s predominantly due to the emotional attachment to the place and sometimes because they have just gotten accustomed to the way things are. Therefore, it is best to work with an experienced (and objective) real estate agent who can point out where you can invest in increasing your gains. Some investments might be more complicated and pricier; others are simple and affordable. This article will show you the best ways to maximize ROI when selling a home in Utah. Then, you can discuss what would work best for your situation with your agent.
More Extensive Renovations
Let’s begin with the most extensive and expensive option – organizing significant remodeling projects. This is a fairly complex matter because you will have to decide which renovations are profitable and which would be an unnecessary waste of time and money. Some upgrades will undoubtedly improve the functionality and the looks of a place, but they will not bring that much return on investment.
For example, adding a swimming pool is undisputedly a beautiful feature. However, it is extortionately expensive to install and then maintain. It’s unlikely that buyers will be too happy to pay extra for something that will cost them a fortune to upkeep. Your agent will know how to advise you because they know what buyers currently look for in homes in your area. Luxury features like this are not suitable for all markets.
Some of the desirable features include:
- Open-plan design
- A patio
- New siding
- New windows
- Kitchen remodel
- Bathroom remodel
It’s surprising how much some basic home improvements can help you increase your home’s value.
Consider the following:
- Bathroom – Bathrooms are extremely expensive to renovate, although they add considerable value. However, if you can’t afford to splurge on a bathroom, consider making some minor changes, such as:
- Replacing the taps
- Adding new towel racks
- Replacing vanity lights
- Repainting the cabinets (using a water-resistant paint)
- Replacing handles and doorknobs
- Recaulking or reglazing the tub
- Kitchen – Just like bathrooms, kitchens are pretty costly to renovate completely. They also increase your home’s value, and buyers look at them first. Thankfully, you can take a similar approach and upgrade your kitchen on a budget. Here are a few examples:
- Repaint the cabinets
- Replace hardware
- Fix broken hinges
- Replace malfunctioning drawer slides
- Add a new tap
- Replace the sink
- Throughout the house – Some inexpensive ways to maximize ROI when selling a home in Utah that you can incorporate throughout your entire home include:
- Repainting your entire home – A fresh coat of paint will make it look cleaner and more polished. Stick to neutral tones that will appeal to most buyers
- Installing smart home technology – Prospective buyers will appreciate anything that will help them save on their utility bills (e.g., smart thermostats)
- Replacing lighting throughout – Good lighting is essential. It will help showcase your home’s best features and present it in the best possible light, especially if you struggle with natural light. It can make the place look more spacious. If you go with LED lights, it will add even more value
- Flooring – Depending on the state of your floors, this is somewhere between a major and a minor renovation. Here are your options:
- Deep-clean carpets
- Refinish hardwood (especially if there are stains or scratches)
- Replace flooring entirely
First impressions matter, so you have to make sure the outside of your home looks appealing. If there are some evident issues, your buyers may be put off. Even if they decide to go in and see your lovely home, they will have done it with prejudice, preventing them from objectively seeing your home’s worth and good sides.
If your windows and siding are in good shape, all you need to do is spruce up your garden and a few elements on the house itself. Here is what to consider:
- Repaint the front door – darker door (charcoal, jet-black, or smokey-black seem to attract buyers the most)
- Landscaping – trim the hedges, cut the grass, add some flower pots
- Small details – the beauty is always in details, so add a new house number and a mailbox
Staging a home for sale is one of the best ways to maximize ROI when selling a home in Utah. The best way to go is to hire a professional. They will know what items to move around and what to take out. They will also tell you if you should bring in rental furniture to make your home pop. You need to do everything in your power to make it appealing to buyers and get the best price you can for it.
Depersonalizing the space is also a part of staging. You want potential buyers to envision themselves in the house, and that won’t be easy with the photos of your family everywhere and your kids’ drawings on your fridge. Moreover, it would be best to keep the style as neutral as possible. You need to allow the buyer to think about incorporating their style. If you like eccentric art and you keep it in the home during viewings, it may be hard to imagine what anything else would look like in that space.
Hire a Professional Photographer
Now that your home is picture-perfect and ready for buyers, you have to get those buyers to come and see it in person. Online is where house hunters look for interesting properties, so you have to lure them in with some stunning photos.
Real estate photographers will know how to bring the best in your property, so you shouldn’t skimp on that. They will present your home’s best features without the need for editing and manipulation.
Now Go Ahead and Maximize ROI When Selling a Home in Utah
Now you know everything you need to help you get the best deal for your home. Of course, you won’t need all the ways to maximize ROI when selling a home in Utah. Pick the ones that will make the most sense for your house. Call your agent to help you decide.
Meta: Read about the best ways to maximize ROI when selling a home in Utah. Attract many buyers and get the best possible offer for it in no time.